[MacTUG] Machine base images

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jan 18 10:13:32 EST 2011

Not that I have experience with managing Mac minis, but if I can speak
from lack of that experience -- no smartie boots comments here ,haha -- I
wouldn't bother having 2 images

I always have used 'latest and greatest' hardware, with the only proviso
being that the OS has been updated to include all the drivers which means
one of 2 things:
1) That a shrinkwrapped copy of the OS has just come out and is newer than
all my hardware. (A situation that does not happen very often, but it is
nice when it does)
2) That I start with the disk that come with the latest and greatest Mac I
own and a 'dot x' update has come out (like the 10.6.6) that should
include any missing drivers that were not shipped on the OS disk that came
with the mac.

My understanding is that as long as one of these conditions is met, you
should be fine. While I am managing all iMacs right now, they cover a lot
of territory (brand new to first gen) and previously I had supported a
real dog's breakfast of Macs with one disk image (certainly a mixture of
isight and non-isight) machines.

don