[MacTUG] FYI: Apple article -> Mac 101: Using a scanner (Mac OS X v10.6)

Glenn Anderson anderson at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Feb 15 08:28:54 EST 2011

I inherited quite a number of very old large format negatives and have been trying to scan them in with an Epson V500 scanner. For the past several weeks, I have been trying to scan them in without much success. The software supplied by Epson wouldn't handle negatives of this size. I tried out several third party scanning software as well without success.

The software that I found that handles these negatives quite well was the scanning software that come with OS X 10.6 and is built into Preview or the image capture utility. This scanning software handed the large negatives just fine and gave a very nice interface to the various scanning options.

So if you encounter users having scanning issues, you might want to have them try out the built in scanning software.

Brief documentation can be found here -> Mac 101: Using a scanner (Mac OS X v10.6) document at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4505

I do not know if the Apple software supports Digital ICE ( if the scanner has this hardware ) when doing dust/scratch removal. In my case, with B&W film this is a mute issue as the Digital ICE approach doesn't work for B&W films.