[MacTUG] Problem: formatting a drive with 10.5.2 disk utility

Marlon A. Griffith m3griffi at engmail.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Mar 28 11:29:16 EDT 2008

Systems
-------

- 20 " aluminum iMac
- 4 GB of ram
- 10.5.2

- an external 80 GB ide hdd in a firewire case

- 20 " white plastic iMac
- 2 GB of ram
- 10.4.10

System Profiler of hdd in 10.5.2
--------------------------------

FireWire Bus:

  Maximum Speed:    Up to 800 Mb/sec

00JJC0:

  Manufacturer:    Initio
  Model:    0x340
  GUID:    0x10100340000000
  Maximum Speed:    Up to 400 Mb/sec
  Connection Speed:    Up to 400 Mb/sec
  Sub-units:
00JJC0 Unit:
  Unit Software Version:    0x10483
  Unit Spec ID:    0x609E
  Firmware Revision:    0x443
  Product Revision Level:    4.43
  Sub-units:
00JJC0 SBP-LUN:
  Capacity:    74.53 GB
  Removable Media:    Yes
  BSD Name:    disk1
  Mac OS 9 Drivers:    No
  Partition Map Type:    APM (Apple Partition Map)
  S.M.A.R.T. status:    Not Supported
  Volumes:
ecHDbk:
  Capacity:    37.14 GB
  Available:    37.1 GB
  Writable:    Yes
  File System:    HFS+
  BSD Name:    disk1s3
  Mount Point:    /Volumes/ecHDbk
imgBk:
  Capacity:    37.14 GB
  Available:    37.1 GB
  Writable:    Yes
  File System:    HFS+
  BSD Name:    disk1s5
  Mount Point:    /Volumes/imgBk

Situation
----------

When I format the hdd on the plastic iMac, it works.

When I format the hdd on the aluminum iMac, it errors out, saying that the erase failed.

Note: the versions of disk utility are obviously different.

Any idea why it fails in 10.5.2?

Thanks in advance,

--
Make it a great day!
Marlon A. Griffith
m3griffi at engmail.uwaterloo.ca

The information in this message, including any attachments, is privileged and may contain confidential information intended only for the person(s) named above. Any other distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply email and permanently delete the original transmission from us, including any attachments, without making a copy. Thank you