[MacTUG] Problem: formatting a drive with 10.5.2 disk utility

Steve Hellyer phasetwo at apple.com
Fri Mar 28 15:29:50 EDT 2008

Hi Marlon,

Is the white plastic iMac Intel or PowerPC G5?

What happen if you try formatting using GUID partition mapping. In
Disk Util and partitions select Option button to select GUID partition
mapping.  Do use this if you want to use this drive to boot PowerPC.

Make sure the drive has jumper set to be master. The cable should tell
it this but if it can't it can cause problems.

Check to see if a firmware update is available for the Firewire
drive.  The bridge chip does all the work converting 1394 Block
communication to ATA.

Two related stories...
I had purchased a cheap USB case to put a 250 GB drive for a Intel Mac
Mini at my house.  I had terrible problems with it and when I put the
drive into a case with Firewire (Oxford) chip all went well.  So much
for the cheap USB case. Plus not the drive is way faster on firewire.

Recently friend of mine with Current 20" iMac had problem with his
time machine backup to a Lacie drive.   He downloaded the silverlining
software from Lacie and updated the firmware fixed all his issues.

The firewire chip in the "Aluminum iMac" is different (more modern)
that white plastic iMac.

Steve