[MacTUG] New Apple keyboard bootup keys not working on mini

Ian Turner iturner at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Mar 10 10:04:25 EDT 2008

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20071113074656308&query=keyboard+startup

Using your Apple Remote as a "startup key"

Having trouble getting your computer to hear signals from your Aluminum
keyboard during the boot process? Here's a curious hint from a reader
about restoring one bit of functionality by using your Apple Remote instead:

     I recently purchased an Apple Aluminum wired keyboard to use with
my Intel iMac. It failed to launch my Bootcamp partition of Windows XP
by using the option key on boot. It would boot into OSX 10.5 as though I
hadn't held the option key down as the iMac was booting. After several
attempts with the same result I called Apple. I was told that the
Keyboard update was suppose to address that issue but that it hadn't.
Apple sent me another keyboard but it was no different. After searching
the Apple Discussions board it seems to be a common issue.

     There is a workaround, however. It seems that if the Menu key is
held down on the Apple remote during the boot process it will act as
though the option key was held down. Apple obviously needs to issue a
fix but in the mean time your readers may want to know about using the
Apple remote to select the Bootcamp partition or any other alternate
partition on their hard drive.