[MacTUG] file converter question

Steve Hellyer phasetwo at apple.com
Mon Apr 21 18:06:42 EDT 2008

Hi Carlos,

Have you tried formatting a USB memory key for Fat-32 and just coping
the files over? If yes what happened?
10.3.9 was not as strong/fast as 10.4.x and 10.5.x Mac OS X at reading
and writing Windows Fat 16 & 32.

MS Office uses the same file format on both Mac and Windows so it
should just open (Assuming you have current MS office on XP).
Mac OS X uses .DOC .XLS. .PPT  and for that matter file extentions
just like Windows files do it just that they are hidden by default.

Only thing I can see which can trip you up is that Windows can't use
* . " / \ [ ] : ; | = , in file name and as Mac OS X can't use : .
Do you have many files with those characters? Both OSes support long
file names.

You don't say how old (versions) these files are so difficult to be
more specific. Could these file have come from really old Mac OS 9
version of Word/Excel?

I would just try copying files to FAT 32 formatted USB memory stick
and then copy to Windows XP computer. See how it goes. Free to try.
If you do have many file names with character not allowed in Windows
XP then you can use a free utility like this to copy the files to FAT
32 volume and replace the bad characters. Mac2FAT - 2.0 http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17190

Steve