[MacTUG] OS X Server and Importing Security Certificates

Jeff Dunnett jdunnett at math.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Nov 15 10:59:56 EST 2007

Hello,

I was wondering if I might be able to call upon the collective
expertise of the group.  I am having problems installing a Thwate
security certificate obtained through IST on our Tiger server.  Maybe
it is because of my inexperience with this sys admin operation.
Maybe I am doing something wrong.  Maybe it is some kind of problem I
am not seeing.

I have in /private/etc/certificates three files:

cemc.math.uwaterloo.ca.crt (which contains the cert http://
ist.uwaterloo.ca/security/IST-CA/certs/59315.7.60540.7.pem)

cemc.math.uwwaterloo.ca.key (which contains the private key)

cemc.math.uwaterloo.ca.chcrt (which is the security authority file)

I have tried a number of ways for installing the certificate:

1) Manually adding a new cert by going into Server Admin tools by
clicking on the 'plus button'.  Then typing in the information
contained in the certificate (.crt file) manually (i.e. Common Name,
City etc).  Then clicking on adding signed certificate then cutting
and pasting the information between the (start certificate and end
certificate) from the .crt file.  The problem is that it says there
is an error writing the settings and then shows the authority as self-
signed.

2) I have tried imporitng the certificate by clicking on the 'import'
button.  Then giving the Certificate File as /private/etc/certificate/
cemc.math.uwaterloo.crt.   The Private Key File as /private/etc/
certificate/cemc.math.uwaterloo.key and the Certificate Authority
File as /private/etc/certificate/cemc.math.uwaterloo.chcrt.  I leave
the Private Key Passphrase as blank because I am pretty sure there
isn't one.  I get a message saying "Certificate Import Failed make
sure that the values you entered are correct and that the certificate
files on the server are valid."

Does it seem like I am doing anything wrong?  I am a little stumped
at this point.

Regards,
Jeff