[MacTUG] TIP: Fix AppleMouse for Boot Camp

Marlon A. Griffith m3griffi at engmail.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jul 14 16:01:59 EDT 2006

MacWindows. July 14, 2006 -- Several readers commented on Wednesday's
report on the free applemou.exe utility for adding right-click
functionality to Windows XP running in Boot Camp on Intel Macs.

Mike Ryder found a way to stop an annoying behavior with the utility:

     To get rid of the window that pops up when the Applemou.exe runs
do the following:

     1. Take the applemou.exe utility out of the startup folder and
put it in a permanent location (program files)

     2. Open the startup folder by clicking on it from the All Programs list

     3. Create a shortcut of the applemou.exe utility in the startup
folder (Drag it while holding alt/option key)

     4. Right-click (Ctrl-click) on the shortcut and choose properties

     5. In the "Target" box add a space and then /s after the last
quotation mark and click OK

     It will run now and not show that "Apple Mouse Utility" window.

Michael Perbix prefers the Input Remapper solution that he reported
to us last month:

     Although this utility works, I had issues with it not always
recognizing a right click, as well as just not being happy with it.
It also does not solve the issue of laptop uses not having a DELETE
key to login....key remapper that was mentioned earlier is a much
more solid solution.

Philip Ershler:

     I have used applemou.exe since I first installed BootCamp. Other
than the slight annoyance mentioned in the article (which I find to
be no big deal), it works fine and ius certainly worth the price.

Michael Watts:

     It works without fail so far, with the minor inconvenience of
setting it up again each time I go into XP.