[FemPhys] FemPhys Reading Group Resumes - this Thursday October 11, 5-6pm!

FemPhys UW femphys at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 09:38:56 EDT 2018

Fab FemPhys folks ~

We will be kicking off our first reading group discussion of the fall term
this Thursday from 5-6pm in the FemPhys room (Phys 104)!

Since there are only a few days until we meet, we picked a short and snappy
reading: two articles from Bitch Media, published about a year apart.  Both
discuss the incorporation of ayahuasca (and other hallucinogens
traditionally used by indigenous people) into western medical treatments
and recreation, but from quite different perspectives: one critiques
spiritual tourism and the colonizing practices of white tourists, while the
other celebrates the gender diversity of scientists studying
psychotheraputic properties of these substances.

The links are below, and a few copies will be available to read in the
FemPhys room!  The pdfs will be posted in the FemPhys Reading Group
facebook page soon.

We're looking forward to discussing these articles with you :)

<3 FemPhys Librarians,
Morgan & Sherry

-------

https://www.bitchmedia.org/article/heart-of-whiteness-spiritual-tourism-colonization-ayahuasca