[Bridges] Bridges 2020 Virtual Conference and Live Workshops

Bridges conference announcements bridges at lists.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jul 23 23:12:18 EDT 2020

Bridges 2020
Mathematics, Art, Music, Architecture, Education, Culture

We are pleased to announce that we will soon launch a "Virtual Conference" for Bridges 2020. The Virtual Conference will feature regular papers, short papers, workshop papers, the art exhibition, the short film festival, and the poetry anthology. Many Bridges contributors have created enhanced content, such as recorded video presentations, which will be available on a special website for 2020. There will be a built-in discussion forum where visitors can engage with authors and with other participants. We hope this site will give the Bridges family an opportunity to connect with each other, and that it will inspire us for 2021.

We plan to launch the full Bridges 2020 Virtual Conference on August 1st, the day that the in-person conference was originally scheduled to begin. In the meantime, we'd like to advertise one component of the conference immediately. We will be holding a limited number of live 90-minute hands-on workshop sessions, using the Zoom videoconferencing platform. There will be one per day, August 1–4. Free registration is required by July 30th, and some workshops will require you to supply your own materials.

Here is a brief schedule:

1. Exploring Symmetry Using Aestheometry in Classrooms and Beyond<http://archive.bridgesmathart.org/2020/bridges2020-547.html>
Stephen Erfle and Katherine Erfle
01 August, 10:00am EDT

2. A Two-dimensional Introduction to Sashiko<http://archive.bridgesmathart.org/2020/bridges2020-517.html>
Carol Hayes and Katherine Seaton
02 August, 6:00pm EDT

3. Organizing Children and Youth Mathematical Art Exhibits and Interpreting MathArt-works through a Collaborative, Transdisciplinary Practice<http://archive.bridgesmathart.org/2020/bridges2020-539.html>
Kristóf Fenyvesi, Christopher Brownell, Pamela Burnard, Carine Steyn, Werner Olivier, Pallawi Sinha, Zsolt Lavicza, Saara Lehto and Kirsi Peltonen
03 August, 10:00am EDT

4. Dürer Machines Running Back and Forth<http://archive.bridgesmathart.org/2020/bridges2020-525.html>
António Araújo
04 August, 10:00am EDT

Full information about these workshops, including required materials and a registration link, can be found at http://2020.bridgesmathart.org/liveworkshops/. If you'd like to jump straight to workshop registration, you can fill out our online form<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf1fh84Op2e-QdZqWDcEdKNRbjq9Gfp6HIy8epLEJkp6gIx0Q/viewform>.

Finally, if you were excited to visit Helsinki in August 2020, take heart! We are thrilled to announce that Bridges 2021 will be held at Aalto University in Helsinki and Espoo, Finland, August 2–6, 2021. Preliminary information about the 2021 conference is available at http://bridgesmathart.org/bridges-2021/.

We look forward to seeing you online next week!

The Bridges Organization