[quantum-info] FW: Two postdoc positions available on the theory of cold and ultracold molecules: Durham University, UK

Daniel Gottesman dgottesman at perimeterinstitute.ca
Fri May 23 12:08:23 EDT 2014

*From:* J M Hutson [mailto:J.M.Hutson at durham.ac.uk]
*Sent:* May-23-14 8:23 AM
*To:* Jeremy Hutson; matveeva.na at gmail.com; chand at sandia.gov;
pikovski at itp.uni-hannover.de; J M Hutson
*Subject:* Two postdoc positions available on the theory of cold and
ultracold molecules: Durham University, UK

Dear Colleagues,

I'd be most grateful if you would bring these post-doc positions to the
attention of any bright young theorists you know who might be interested in
them.

Many thanks,
Jeremy Hutson

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Two post-doc positions are available to work in my research group on the
quantum-mechanical theory of cold and ultracold molecules, to start as soon
as convenient. The provisional titles are:

   1. Ultracold molecules from ultracold atoms: quantum theory of molecules
   at nanokelvin temperatures;
   2. Cooling molecules to microkelvin temperatures: using the theory of
   ultracold collisions to cool molecules and understand their behaviour.

These positions are for 17 months (with some possibility of extension,
depending on future funding applications). They are associated with a large
EPSRC grant entitled *MMQA: Microkelvin Molecules in a Quantum Array*,
joint with experimental groups at Durham (Eckart Wrede, David Carty, Simon
Cornish) and Imperial College London (Ed Hinds, Mike Tarbutt). We also
collaborate extensively with experimental groups in Innsbruck, Heidelberg
and elsewhere and with Paul Julienne's theory group at Maryland.

Cold molecules provide a fascinating playground for molecular quantum
mechanics. We develop theory that is closely related to current experiments
in this fast-moving field. Applicants will need to have experience in
_developing_ theoretical methods in one of the branches of molecular
quantum mechanics (collisions, wide-amplitude vibrations, electronic
structure, etc. etc.) and will share my fascination with understanding
fundamental quantum behaviour in molecular systems.

For formal information, or to apply, go
https://ig5.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_durham01.asp?newms=jj&id=86475 . The closing
date for applications is 24 June 2014, and applications _must_ be made via
the Web site above (though I am happy to answer informal enquiries by
email).

For a description of what we do, look at *MailScanner has detected a
possible fraud attempt from "www.dur.ac.uk" claiming to
be*http://community.dur.ac.uk/j.m.hutson/<http://www.dur.ac.uk/j.m.hutson/>and
links from there. Further information on the proposed projects
(designed for Ph. D. students, but equally applicable to post-docs) is
available at *MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from
"www.dur.ac.uk" claiming to
be*http://community.dur.ac.uk/j.m.hutson/studentships-info.pdf<http://www.dur.ac.uk/j.m.hutson/studentships-info.pdf>(which
is currently about a year out of date, but I'll try to update it
soon). We publish on average about 8 papers per year, including 10 papers
in Phys. Rev. Lett. in the last 5 years. There's a publications list at
http://community.dur.ac.uk/j.m.hutson/jmhutson-pubs.pdf .

Jeremy Hutson

--

Prof. Jeremy M. Hutson, FRS

Dept. of Chemistry

University of Durham

Durham                       Tel.  (0191) 334 2147 (UK)

DH1 3LE                      Tel. +44 191 334 2147 (International)

England                      FAX: +44 191 384 4737