[quantum-info] PIQuDos seminar on Wed, Nov 20: Shelby Kimmel

Gus Gutoski ggutoski at perimeterinstitute.ca
Thu Nov 14 10:51:46 EST 2013

Please join us on Wednesday, November 20 at 4pm in the Time room for a
quantum information seminar by Shelby Kimmel.

Title: *Quantum Adversary (Upper) Bound*
Speaker: *Shelby Kimmel* (MIT)

Abstract:  I discuss a technique - the quantum adversary upper bound - that
uses the structure of quantum algorithms to gain insight into the quantum
query complexity of Boolean functions. Using this bound, I show that there
must exist an algorithm for a certain Boolean formula that uses a constant
number of queries. Since the method is non-constructive, it does not give
information about the form of the algorithm. After describing the technique
and applying it to a class of functions, I will outline quantum algorithms
that match the non-constructive bound.