[quantum-info] IQC Nov 12 Seminar

Matthew Fries mfries at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Nov 12 10:25:02 EST 2013

Seminar

Institute for Quantum Computing

Tuesday, 12 November 2013 at 3:00PM

QNC 1201

High fidelity spin entanglement using optimal control

Ville Bergholm

Institute for Scientific Interchange, Italy

Precise control of quantum systems is of fundamental importance for quantum device engineering, such as is needed in the fields of quantum information processing, high-resolution spectroscopy and quantum metrology. When scaling up the quantum registers in such devices, several challenges arise: individual addressing of qubits in a dense spectrum while suppressing crosstalk, creation of entanglement between distant nodes, and decoupling from unwanted interactions. The experimental implementation of optimal control is a prerequisite to meeting these challenges. Using engineered microwave pulses, we experimentally demonstrate optimal control of a prototype solid state spin qubit system comprising thirty six energy levels. The spin qubits are associated with proximal nitrogen-vacancy (NV) centers in diamond. We demonstrate precise single-electron spin qubit operations with an unprecedented fidelity F \approx 0.99 in combination with high-efficiency storage of electron spin states in a nuclear spin quantum memory. Matching single-electron spin operations with spin-echo techniques, we further realize high-quality entangled states (F > 0.82) between two electron spins on demand. After exploiting optimal control, the fidelity is mostly limited by the coherence time and imperfect initialization. Errors from crosstalk in a crowded spectrum of 8 lines as well as detrimental effects from active dipolar couplings have been simultaneously eliminated to unprecedented extent. Finally, by entanglement swapping to nuclear spins, nuclear spin entanglement over a length scale of 25 nm is demonstrated. This experiment underlines the importance of optimal control for scalable room temperature spin-based quantum information devices.
This talk represents joint work between the ISI Foundation and the University of Stuttgart groups. The work can be found here http://arxiv.org/abs/1309.4430