[quantum-info] Today's PIQuDos

Markus Mueller mmueller at perimeterinstitute.ca
Mon Oct 22 05:15:05 EDT 2012

Hi all,

this is a reminder of Luigi Amico's talk today at 4pm in the Time Room.

Best wishes,
Markus

Title: *Entanglement transition in quantum magnets*
Speaker: Luigi Amico (University of Catania)

Abstract:
Entanglement is a defining feature of quantum mechanics that in recent
years has led to the development of the new discipline of quantum
information theory. Its application to spin systems predicts a new type
of zero temperature transition in an applied magnetic field at which the
nature of the entanglement qualitatively changes without any anomaly  in
the ground state energy of the system. I will discuss the correlations
near such an entanglement transition. I will report on the first attempt
to observe the phenomenon with a neutron scattering experiment in a one
dimensional quantum magnet.