[quantum-info] Next week's PIQuDos

Markus Mueller markus14m at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 09:58:38 EDT 2012

Hi all,

next week, we have a talk by Victor Veitch on Wednesday at 4pm in the
Time Room.

Best wishes,
Markus

Title: *Negative Quasi-Probability Representation is a Necessary
Resource for Quantum Computation*
Speaker: Victor Veitch (IQC Waterloo)

Abstract:
The magic state model of quantum computation gives a recipe for
universal quantum computation using perfect Clifford operations and
repeat preparations of a noisy ancilla state. It is an open problem to
determine which ancilla states enable universal quantum computation in
this model. Here we show that for systems of odd dimension a necessary
condition for a state to enable universal quantum computation is that it
have negative representation in a particular quasi-probability
representation which is a discrete analogue to the Wigner function. This
condition implies the existence of a large class of bound states for
magic state distillation: states which cannot be prepared using Clifford
operations but do not enable universal quantum computation.