[quantum-info] Today's 12:30 lunch colloquium - Gerardo Ortiz - "Basic Notions of Topological Quantum Matter" - RAC1 room 2009

Will Matthews w2matthe at iqc.ca
Mon Mar 12 11:01:33 EDT 2012

Gerardo Ortiz (Indiana University Bloomington)

"Basic Notions of Topological Quantum Matter"

I will describe some basic notions of topological quantum matter.These are physical systems that exhibit degenerate ground states with properties seemingly different than ordinary (Landau-type) phases of matter, such as ferromagnets. For example, those (topologically quantum ordered) states cannot be characterized by (local) order parameters such asmagnetization. How does one characterize this new order? A unifying framework emerges allowing us to engineer physical systems displaying topological quantum order. What are the physical properties of these new orders? How robust are they to temperature effects? What are theyuseful for? If time permits I will present some recent results on Majorana fermion architectures.

Today, Monday 12 March, 12:30 - 1:30, RAC1 room 2009

Note: This colloquium is incorrectly listed as happening at
3 pm on the IQC website.