[MacTUG] Passing of Cassie Bechard

Gregory Smith g8smith at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jun 26 14:09:30 EDT 2023

Dear Campus IT Colleagues,

I'm writing this afternoon with very difficult news.  With shock and sadness, I need to announce that Cassie Bechard passed away unexpectedly over the weekend.  Cassie was the IST Account Rep for the Faculty of Health and for the GSPA. Cassie came to Waterloo in September 2007 as an undergraduate student.  Cassie worked for IST, supporting the Arts Computing Office, for three of their co-op work terms, graduating in 2013 with a Bachelor of Mathematics (Honours Applied Mathematics). Immediately after Cassie’s graduation, they started working permanently with IST.

As a department and an IT community, we rally around the people who worked most closely with Cassie, including their manager Lisa Tomalty, the entire IST Customer Relations and Support team, as well as the Faculty of Health and the GSPA.

I have spoken with Cassie’s mother and have expressed to her the condolences of the entire university community.  Funeral arrangements are pending, and I will communicate them to you once they are finalized.

Sincerely,
Greg

--

Gregory Smith

Chief Information Officer

Information Systems and Technology

University of Waterloo

P: (519) 888-4800

Pronouns:  he/him/his

The University of Waterloo acknowledges that much of our work takes place on the traditional territory of the Neutral, Anishinaabeg and Haudenosaunee peoples. Our main campus is situated on the Haldimand Tract, the land promised to the Six Nations that includes six miles on each side of the Grand River.