[MacTUG] Fwd: Update on wifi [802.11r on macos?]

Marlon A Griffith m3griffi at engmail.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Nov 18 10:58:36 EST 2022

Can anyone provide feedback on this?

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: [esag] Update on wifi
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 15:53:34 +0000
From: Dennis Herman <dherman at uwaterloo.ca>
To: Erick Engelke <erick at uwaterloo.ca>

Hi Erick,

Apple’s statements about macOS support for 802.11r are confusing. From
the statements below it seems that MacOS 12 (Monterey) “supports”
802.11r on Apple Silicon, introduced in  late 2020, only ie  implying
802.11r is not supported on non Apple silicon. Then they state that
macOS ( in general ?) doesn’t “support” 802.11r but “interoperates” with
802.11r and ditto for “earlier” versions of macOS which presumably
supports non Apple ie Intel silicon.

So my take on this is that all post 2020 PCs ie Apple Silicon support
802.11r as long as they are running macOS 12 and all Apple silicon and
older  Intel silicon PCs “interoperate” with 802.11r on all earlier
versions of macOS.

Does “interoperate” mean will connect to an 802.11r AP or does it mean
it works sometimes  ?

Any Apple experts out there have some experience and/or insight into this ?

Dennis

In https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202628 they state

“To use 802.11k and 802.11r, you need iOS 6 or later or macOS 12 or later. “
“macOS support is limited to only Mac computers with Apple silicon.”

In macOS wireless roaming for enterprise customers - Apple
Support<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206207> they state

“macOS Monterey supports 802.11r and 802.11v on Mac computers with Apple
silicon.”
“macOS doesn't support Fast BSS Transition, also known as 802.11r. You
don't have to deploy additional SSIDs to support macOS because macOS
interoperates with 802.11r.”
“Earlier versions of macOS don't support Fast BSS Transition, also known
as 802.11r. Earlier versions of macOS interoperate with 802.11r so that
additional SSIDs don't need to be deployed.”