[MacTUG] How to Turn Off the ‘Hold Command-Q to Quit’ Warning in Chrome for macOS

Keith Peck kdpeck at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Nov 6 09:35:09 EST 2018

Hi Everyone,
Mac users who like the Chrome browser may have recently noticed (late October) that the up to date version of Chrome for macOS now prompts you with an on-screen-message that you must ‘Hold Command-Q to Quit’.

Apparently the change was made to help avoid shutting down web apps that could rely on processes built into Chrome. I don’t use web apps so I find this change annoying.

To disable this feature, with Chrome for macOS running…

  *   Click on “Chrome” on the application menu at the upper-left of your display.
  *   Click the “Warn Before Quitting” option so that it is no longer checked.

[cid:image001.png at 01D475B4.017BCA40]

Keith