[MacTUG] New Mac mini memory

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Nov 1 17:41:45 EDT 2018

Thanks Glenn

Looks like the 32gig option is pretty good as it would be about $500canadian (with duty and taxes) vs a bit over 800 for the official upgrade (and the taxes on the upgrade). So saving 300 bucks on a purchase of that amount is pretty good.

But it looks like the savings are not proportional for the 65 gig options as it still only saves about 300 bucks. The 64 gig module is $1,079US. Shipping is free but duty and taxes are 140.00, totaling $1,220US or $1,600CAN. The official apple upgrade is about the same price (OK 80 bucks more at $1,680Can. Now there would be the tax on that is $1,898. So about 300 bucks. I know not insignificant but I was hoping it would be more.

The 32 gig is certainly worth considering. Two thumbs up.  If I was a big shot willing to spend the case for the 64 gigs, I would assume the $300 savings would be small potatoes __

Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
https://uwaterloo.ca/environment-computing/about/people
The information in this message, including any attachments, may contain confidential information intended only for the person(s) named above.  Any other distribution, copying or disclosure which is not necessary and proper in the discharge of the University's functions is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete the original transmission from us, including any attachments, without making a copy.  Thank you.