[MacTUG] Campus wide packaging?

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Nov 30 16:55:29 EST 2016

I have finally gotten back in the saddle of working on Parallels SCCM and building packages to use within it.

Right from when we started with the Parallels SCCM project it was clear that IST would not have the resources to bundle packages but there was talk of us using it as an excuse to start sharing our packages.

I was talking to Trevor informally about it and I really don’t have a problem with doing this, nor does he (right, Trevor?). The problem is that sometimes the devil is in the details and the general concept of “lets share the work” gets blocked by slightly different goals/needs. As an example, Trevor has done a great job packaging Office 2016 for the mac, but I might want to distribute a version for my labs that is lighter in weight and does not include OneNote and Outlook. Now at some point I may get lazy and decide to ‘borrow’ Trevor’s package (with his blessing I would hope) even if it is bigger than I want it to be and just put a “rm –rf” line in my deployment script to nuke the packages I don’t want installed. I could also see differences on the importance of “latest and greatest” getting in the way. Firefox Version 99 may come out a day before I am rebuilding labs and I may want to push it out whereas other folks may not see the need to rush

So Dani, as the users of Parallels SCCM are loading packages on the same server I think there is a greater chance than ever that the packages can get shared. But at this point in the game, as I am learning how to package for SCCM (when I was blathering on on Tuesday about flat vs bundled packages, that was related to this), I really am not at the stage where I am looking to reduce my packaging workload as I want to see what I am doing.

Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
https://uwaterloo.ca/environment-computing/about/people
This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the original message. The information contained in this email is private and confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in error please notify the original sender immediately.