[MacTUG] Manually adding a printer to El Capitan

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Mar 16 14:09:56 EDT 2016

Regarding my issues with connecting a printer to El Capitan:

I still cannot connect connect to printer using the Printers&Scanners System Preference (as shown in our printer notes on our website https://uwaterloo.ca/environment-computing/adding-departmental-printers-mac ). However, I have succeeded using LPADMIN in the command line (thanks Keith and Ed for encouraging me to just use this route).

While I have been using the LPADMIN method for years for adding printers for my managed machines (my labs) I have preferred the Sys Prefs route for non managed computers as it an easy way for users to add printers themselves. So I am still curious why I can add a LPD printer via El Capitan and can do so via Yosemite (and everything before this).

If I cannot get this to work I will likely wrap the LPADMIN command in an applescript or a package and have this avail for users to install, but this will be a bit of a pain.

I would be interested in if anyone else out there can add a printer via System Preferences in Yosemite but not in El Capitan?

Minor epiphany: I just realized that I am talking two different protocols. When I add via Sys Prefs I am adding using LPD, and when I am adding via LPADMIN, I am (rather ironically) not using LPD but SMB, as I have been using the following structure:

lpadmin -p ev2-1011-bw2 -v smb://mediaprint2/ev2-1011-bw2 -L “EV2-1011” -D ev2-1011-bw2 -P /Library/Lab/PPDs/mad_bw_xerox -o printer-is-shared=false –E

So this is a bit more of an apples and oranges thing than I realized. I forgot about this till now because like most of you I originally used LPADMIN to install LPR printers. I should try adding a printer via LPADMIN and have it be an LPR printer versus a SMB printer

Comments?

------------------------------------
Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
https://uwaterloo.ca/environment-computing/about/people
This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the original message. The information contained in this email is private and confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in error please notify the original sender immediately.