[MacTUG] How to Create an OS X Mavericks USB Installation Drive

Marlon A. Griffith m3griffi at engmail.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 23 08:50:24 EDT 2013

"""
Sadly, the old method for Lion and Mountain Lion doesn't work anymore,
but thanks to MacRumors forum user tywebb13, we've got another simple
method for Mavericks. Here's what you need to do:

     Download OS X Mavericks from the Mac App Store, if you haven't
already. If it tries to start the installation, just close it.I
     nsert your USB drive (you'll need one that's 8GB or larger) and
open Disk Utility.
     Select your drive in the sidebar and go to the Erase tab. Format
the drive as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and name the drive "Untitled."
     Click the Erase button and wait for Disk Utility to finish.
     Close Disk Utility and open up a Terminal window. Copy and paste
the command from this forum post into the Terminal.
     Press Enter. The process should take about 20 minutes, so don't
cancel it or eject your USB drive while it's doing its thing.
     When it's done, you should get a message stating the process is
finished. Now, you can restart your computer, hold the Option key to
access the boot menu, and select your new USB drive to install a clean
copy of OS X Mavericks.

Check out the video above to see the process in action, and good luck!

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-create-an-os-x-mavericks-usb-installation-drive-1450280026?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+lifehacker%2Ffull+%28Lifehacker%29
"""