[MacTUG] Mountain Lion default SSH running!

Dani Roloson daroloso at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Mar 5 11:57:20 EST 2013

Why turn on SSH at all? ARD UNIX allows you to do any of that.

If you really insist:

/etc/hosts.allow

sshd: whateverFQDN
sshd: correspondingIPaddress

/etc/hosts.deny

sshd: ALL

As for the Sharing System Prefs for Remote Management (and Login if enabled),
it is always set by us to be "Only these users".

Dani
MFCF

Did anyone else notice that? We probably have a ton of macs out there that have SSH and Screen Sharing in by default. That is not good and a departure for Apple. Apple used to rationalize not having its firewall enabled by default by stating that Apple did not enable services willy-nilly. This seems at least a bit on the nilly side of things.

I once turned SSH on for my lab macs so I could have a back door and then a bunch of guys in Russia started using it too!