[MacTUG] Hmm time for an update

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jan 28 09:46:34 EST 2013

Haha, Dani, at least there were no references the memory requirements for using
Pagemaker or Freehand or a Gopher Client ;-)

As someone who was seconded to work with the WCMS team (who have and are
doing great work) it has bothered me that IST has not totally revamped
their content and moved it into the CMS -- something about how one should
'eat ones own dog food', etc. I informally asked about the status of this
clean up/migration and was given the rationale that the revamp of the
webspace likely will not happen until the reorg is done. On one hand I see
the merit of this now we are at this point, but frankly the content on
this site should have been moved over way before a reorg was even talked
about. I understand it is a big site, but it is or should be the flagship
site for IT information on campus. While the take-up of users for the WCMS
system has been impressive, it is hard to encourage people to use a
service you are promoting when you are not using it yourself.

I think I am fighting the beginning of a cold this morning that has made
me extra bit#$%@#$y/honest, but yes, this page is one of many that has out
of date info on it.

Mike, I agree with you on the discouragement of Snowleopard (even tho I
am one of those that feels I have gained little with Lion or Mountain
Lion), and am currently struggling with figuring out life beyond the
"Golden Triangle" method of AD authentication. One of the difficulties of
abandoning Snow Leopard is that it is one of those instances where machines
capable of quite a few basic activities (word processing, email, web) are still working
reasonably well, but I guess that is progress ;-)

Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment