[MacTUG] Hmm time for an update

Mike Patterson mpatterson at uwaterloo.ca
Sat Jan 26 16:04:10 EST 2013

On 2013-01-25, at 4:56 PM, Dani Roloson <daroloso at uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/cs/mypc/mac_users.html#HardwareAnchor
>
>> Any new Macintosh you can purchase today is more than adequate as
>> far as power is concerned.
>>
>> Memory: 2 GB is the minimum these days, and 4 GB recommended. If
>> you are planning on running a Windows virtual environment, 4 GB is
>> the recommended amount.
>
> I'd say 8 for a Mac and 8 more for the "PC".

12GB total seems to be adequate for Windows 7 and a light to moderate load (I allocate 4GB to the Windows VM). But yeah, once you're at 12, you might as well go to 16...

>> IST supports Mac workstations running Mac OS X 10.6 and 10.5
>
> That explains it … 10.7 and 10.8 are memory hogs.

"We" (take your pick who that means) should actively discourage the use of < 10.6, and even Snow Leopard is likely to be pushing it in a year or so. I know some people are big fans of 10.6 over 7/8, but… that's life in Apple-land, yes?

> Newsgroups??? Really???

I see the newsgroup is completely empty.

Mike

--
Cynicism: an effective social mechanism for preventing communication...
It indicates a lack of self-confidence.