[MacTUG] updates to safari, ard, and flash

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Thu May 10 16:44:08 EDT 2012

OK, let me get something clear: I wish Flash would just go away. However, the recent update to Safari which disables outdated Flash installs, can require a few hoops to jump through if you administrating a lab of macs.

In the flash installer, you do find a PKG file (in Contents>Resources) that does seem to install fine over ARD.

Now this is weird, however. When you go to a flash test site such as http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ I get that the flash version is current -  11.2.202.235. However I first logged on to the machine after I install it, I get an inccorect warning that the flash version that is installed is not current. This is a bit weird. It seems that this message is appears only once, but it is a bit disconcerting. I am guessing that it is appearing because Apple is not noticing the updating coming in from the side via ARD.

Any suggestions other than a) telling the occasional user who may report this not to worry, or b) going and logging on to all my 50+ lab macs?

------------------------------------
Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
http://www.environment.uwaterloo.ca/computing/people/don.html
To request help from MAD please us "Request Tracker". For info see: http://www.fes.uwaterloo.ca/computing/faculty_staff/
This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the original message. The information contained in this email is private and confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in error please notify the original sender immediately.