[MacTUG] Mountain Lion is out

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jul 25 15:50:24 EDT 2012

I was pretty much doing what you were doing Dani, but I think i will be stretching it if they are going to upgrade the os every year!

For client macs it is no big deal but for lab installs I want the following sort of timeframe -- to give an example of the MINIMUM time I would want to deploy mountain goat lion:
1) Fall term -- just let the various patches come out (both apple and 3rd party), familiarize myself with it on my desktop, see what software it breaks (I have all the lab software on my desktop)
2) Winter term -- start to play with deployment, figure out what hardware updates and software updates are required
3) Spring term -- deploy the OS to the labs

If apple keeps this accelerated OS update of every year* this will be really frustrating as a new OS will be released shortly after I install the 'new' OS!!! If that is the case I will likely be skipping OS updates on my lab machines.

don

*versus what for most of OS X has been a  2 year update -- http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/timeline/e923ce68f3bd51f123436957c8b54c67.png

On 2012-07-25, at 3:23 PM, Dani Roloson <daroloson at uwaterloo.ca>