[MacTUG] [cs-cooler] Apple Mail and connect.uwaterloo.ca

Byron Weber Becker bwbecker at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jan 2 13:13:56 EST 2012

Issues I'm finding:

-- Initially Apple Mail would hang relatively frequently (multiple times per day)
with the activity window showing a stalled process:

When this image was taken, "Changing Flags" had been working for many
minutes.

-- The above issue sometimes (always? not sure) blocked incoming mail.  I
know that on at least one occasion an email was not dealt with on a
timely basis because of this.

-- The above issue was largely (but not completely) resolved when I moved
ALL of my mail to Exchange.  Previously I filed most messages on my local
machine.  HOwever…

-- Updating all the caches takes a long time.  In particular, updating the
useless (as far as Apple Mail goes) Calendar mailbox takes a long time.
The system as a whole seems slow and bogged down.  This is NOT with lots
of email in the system, by the way.

I have since moved to mailservices and (thus far, not yet under heavy load)
am happier.

Byron