[MacTUG] File in trash hangs system when an attempt to delete or rm it

Glenn Anderson anderson at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Dec 21 15:05:23 EST 2012

I have a OS 10.8 system which has a file in the trash that when one tries to delete it, either by emptying the trash or doing an rm from the command line hangs the entire system.

I have tried a number of command line tricks that are suppose to deal with problem files, and utilities as well. DiskUtil says everything is fine with the file.

Anyone encounter this?

Note: I have found similar posting online at the Apple forums asking about the same issue, but no replies or answer are posted to them.