[MacTUG] Anyone have trouble getting Connect mail with Mail.app this morning?

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Apr 11 08:30:50 EDT 2012

I agree that a NEXUS\ is required with the Mail.app — it also is required for Outlook for the Mac (Office 2011).

OK, this one is weird.. I normally use Outlook not Mail.app (haha, that is not the weird part ;-p ) the weird part is I decided to delete my account settings for Mail.app and recreate them to see what would happen, and the results are kind of ugly. Usually when you set up an exchange account with a modern version of os x (like lion, which I am using), the setup is a breeze. It automatically figures out you are setting up an exchange account and then you are up in a flash!

However when I deleted my mail.app Connect account (again, I did this just as a test to see what it would be like to set up a new mac) and told it to create a new account for dsmccrac at connect.uwaterloo.ca, it failed! It gives this message:

The Exchange server “connhub4.connect.uwaterloo.ca” is not responding. Try checking the network connection, and that the server name is correct. Otherwise, the server might be temporarily unavailable. If you continue, you might not be able to receive messages.

If I hit the Continue button (the only real choice I have) a couple of times, I keep on getting the same message and then I get a window that has all the settings for that account — the same window that you would get if you went in and edited an existing account. At this point I can put a nexus\ in front of my username and things are OK.

I tried all sorts of tricks to avoid it  when I created the account — I tried putting nexus\dsmccrac at connect.uwaterloo.ca and that barfed (it could not see it as an exchange account) and I tried dsmccrac at connect.nexus.uwaterloo.ca and that similarly failed.

I will try setting up a new outlook account later on today.

Clearly, this is not an emergency level priority Trevor, as I am sure you guys may be fighting fires all day, but with the huge number of macs that are coming in, it is important that we restore the setup process to be as painless as it was yesterday;-)

Thanks and other than this, things are fine and manageable out here in ENV with the migration.

don
------------------------------------
Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
http://www.environment.uwaterloo.ca/computing/people/don.html
To request help from MAD please use Request Tracker. For info see:
http://environment.uwaterloo.ca/computing/faculty_staff/

This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the original message. The information contained in this email is private and confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in error please notify the original sender immediately.