[MacTUG] Thrilled about Lion

Steve Hellyer phasetwo at apple.com
Sat Oct 29 13:05:52 EDT 2011

It's automatically on now Dani. You don't need to perform the old default write command.

If bound to one or more directories and it working you won't see any indication of a problem.  However if there is a problem you will see a red light in the accounts.

A Yellow light means only 1 of 2 to Directories you're configured for are answering.

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow AdminHostInfo HostName
On provides additional information such as Machine Name, Build, and IP Address when clicking on the clock area if you want it.

The goal here was to make the UI same for a directory attached machine same as standalone machine. Only when there is a problem indicate the issue.

Enjoy,

Steve

On 2011-10-28, at 1:51 PM, Dani Roloson wrote:

> I used to put the Directory Services Status on the login screen with:
>
> defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow AdminHostInfo DSStatus
> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4787
> seems to say that should still work but it seems to just do the same as
> defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow AdminHostInfo HostName
>
> Even if I could get it to work, the user would have to click on the clock
> in the upper right instead it being in their face in 10.6.
>
> Dani
> MFCF
> ____________

Steve Hellyer
Pre-Sales Systems Engineer

Apple Canada Inc.
7495 Birchmount Rd.
Markham, Ontario, Canada
L3R 5G2

PH: (905)513-5647
Mailto: phasetwo at apple.com

Training Websites
http://training.apple.com/
http://witzeducation.com/

Apple Consultants Locator
http://consultants-locator.apple.com/

AppleCare Online Support
http://www.apple.com/ca/support/

AppleCare Technical Phone Support
1-800-263-3394  (basic up and running support for individual consumers)

AppleCare Enterprise Level Support
http://www.apple.com/ca/support/products/enterprise/ossupport.html

AppleCare Service Locations (Canada)
http://www.apple.ca/buy/locator/
Select Service Locations from pull down menu