[MacTUG] Lion window's wireless printing just pauses the print queue

Marlon A. Griffith m3griffi at engmail.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Nov 17 08:48:52 EST 2011

Hello all,

Yesterday, I set up a prof to print using wireless to an hp cp3225. I used the instructions on ist.uwaterloo/cs/omniprint. It did not work. After trying several things - i.e. different users, another printer, etc. - it still did not work. Finally, we booted from an external hdd with Snow Leopard on it, and low and behold, wireless printing did work.

Symptoms
--------
* the printer queue was set up as per the instructions and this succeeded
* when printing, you are prompted for your ADS or Nexus userid and password again and again
* the print queue reported:
** connected to printer...
** possibly another message but it was displayed too quickly to tell
** the print queue paused itself

The major difference, that I noticed with Apple's window's (i.e. samba) print dialog, was the change from "windows" to "windows printing using lspoolss." Anyone, seen this issue and solved it.

tia (thanks in advance),
Marlon