[MacTUG] Managing Mac OS X Lion's application resume feature | MacFixIt <- How about this one Don?

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Aug 11 09:39:31 EDT 2011

On 11-08-10 7:04 PM, "Steve Hellyer" <phasetwo at apple.com> wrote:

>Lion will also quit apps after a period of time which have no open
>windows and have been left dormant in background.
>Not sure period of time at this moment. We were thinking of you Don. :-)

Haha
At least that should keep the number of apps that start up on login to a
livable level until a option to turn that off comes out ;-)

Really, I have no problem that these UI changes are offered, but it
bothers me that the opt out abilities are not flushed out. I do remember
Apple doing that with Leopard, for example the translucent menu bar (which
I think does not work well if you have random images as your desktop) and
the 'Stacks' behaviour for folders in the Dock. It took an update to turn
some of these things on.

I also think that some of these features -- most notably the change in
scroll direction -- are a bit of a 'tilting at windmills' battle. I agree
that it probably makes sense, but i think the current status quo scroll
direction is a bit like the QWERTY keyboard: something that really does
not make sense but is ingrained in behaviour. Until we are a 'mainly
tablet' culture I do not think the transition will occur. Then again
'mainly tablet' culture is probably something that is not that far away
;-) In the meanstwhile, as a support person, my already semi-dislexic
brain is going to be tortured by 1/2 the mac users having 'up' be one
direction and the other half having it be reversed ;-)