[MacTUG] Managing Mac OS X Lion's application resume feature | MacFixIt <- How about this one Don?

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Aug 10 15:56:17 EDT 2011

No this is another aspect of resume, as Lion does stuff with 'resuming' at
least
two ways(three I guess if you count auto save)

1) Lion lets you resume an app where it left off the last time it was
used, which is what this url is talking about. So if I quit Textedit and
have 3 docs open, Lion will open those 3 docs when I start up TextEdit
again. Actually I did not turn this one off as it does not bother me too
much. I think the reason it does not bother me is that I usually do not
quit apps until I am sure I am done with it. That is likely why I have a
million apps running at the end of the day and why I am bugged by the
second form of resume, hahaŠ

2) When you log out, unless you deselect the checkbox, all the apps you
have running will be restarted the next time you log in, even if they are
not in Login Items. This one does not currently have a GUI master 'turn
off' option, nor has anyone found a sneaky way to do it using the
'defaults writeŠ' option in the terminal.

Eg of articles about it
http://att.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1191622
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3202933?start=0&tstart=0
The last posting makes references at the end to locking the
~/Library/Saved Application State/ folder, but this is a case where the
user is confusing these two forms of resume -- from what I see that folder
controls the first type of 'resume' listed above. Both these links make
references to applescripts that you could create to deal with this issue.
I feel that is cheating ;-)

------------------------------------
Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
http://www.environment.uwaterloo.ca/computing/people/don.html
------------
To request help from MAD please us Request Tracker. For info see:
http://www.environment.uwaterloo.ca/computing/faculty_staff/
<http://www.fes.uwaterloo.ca/computing/faculty_staff/>
This email communication is intended as a private communication for the
sole use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies
in the original message. The information contained in this email is
private and confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are
hereby notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or
distribution of this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are
not specifically authorized to receive this email and if you believe that
you received it in error please notify the original sender immediately.