[MacTUG] connect.uwaterloo.ca issue with Safari and new page

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Oct 29 10:48:16 EDT 2010

Ya, it is neat when you want it to happen and irritating when you don't,
haha.

Yes it would have been nice if you could turn it on and off but I appreciate
the intent. My solution it to do a Command-T (Control-T) to open a new tab
(which is what I usually do anyhow instead of opening a new window)

I agree with Trevor, including the idea that whether you like it or not, it
sure makes the browser feel like a real client!

On 10-10-28 11:31 PM, "Trevor Bain" <etbain at uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> I mentioned to Glenn that I think it's a little surprising/unfortunate
> that Microsoft hasn't provided the ability to turn this off via the
> interface. At least it is consistent (both across browsers and desktop
> clients).
>
> Yes... it was listed as a 2010 enhancement - somebody thought it was a
> good idea. Can't say I agree but it does make going from desktop client to
> browser easier.
>
> It's good to have feedback like this. We've had lots of people using OWA
> under Exchange 2010 since August - I don't think anyone has
> noticed/reported the shortcut 'feature'. We may need to give our users a
> heads up.
>
> Trevor
>

> On 10-10-28 11:07 PM, "Lawrence Folland" <lfolland at uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>
>> The same thing happens in Windows or Linux using both Firefox and
>> Internet Explorer.  I believe it would be considered a feature of the
>> web app.
>>
>> Lawrence
>>

>> Glenn Anderson wrote:
>>> If I have the Outlook Web App open, url
>>> https://connect.uwaterloo.ca/owa/  and it's my current window. When I
>>> do a cmd-n for a new browser window, instead of getting a new browser
>>> window what happens is that I get a new mail message window.
>>> If I am in the Outlook Web Calendar, when I do a cmd-n I get a new
>>> appointment window instead of a new window.
>>>
>>> If I use the menu to do a new window, it works fine and I get a new
>>> browser window. The menu also does show that cmd-n is for a new browser
>>> window.
>>>
>>> I don't think this is what should be happening, as it doesn't follow
>>> the Mac interface rules as I understand them.

------------------------------------
Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
http://www.environment.uwaterloo.ca/computing/people/don.html
------------
To request help from MAD please us Request Tracker. For info see:
http://www.environment.uwaterloo.ca/computing/faculty_staff/
This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole
use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the
original message. The information contained in this email is private and
confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby
notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of
this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically
authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in
error please notify the original sender immediately.