[MacTUG] Office 2011 requires intel processor

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Oct 29 10:38:30 EDT 2010

Thanks for pointing it out Glenn. Well that is interesting, but it certainly
not that unexpected, after all, even apple as abandoned developing new stuff
(eg Snow Leopard) for the PowerPC. To be fair, the first intel macs are
almost 5 years old.

For these users, they will be limited to the web version, which for the
average user should be sufficient -- in fact Will is teaching people to use
the calendar (partly due to the wide range of client apps that people could
use to access it). The question is if there are any power users out there
running a G5 or earlier. We have one (Mary, who I have CC'd, I mean Anne
Wagland), and I have been looking for a good reason to get her Mac replaced.

Steve, if your reading, I guess our use of a Microsoft package may be
resulting in a few mac sales, haha ;-)

On 10-10-28 3:54 PM, "Glenn Anderson" <anderson at uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> Office 2011 no longer runs on G5/G4 systems, only on intel systems.
>
> This might not be that much of a problem when it comes to Word/Excel/
> PowerPoint users with non-intel mac can simply stay with Office 2008
> for these apps.
>
> However, if the users want/need Outlook for calendar, not being able
> to run Office 2011 would be an issue.
>
> I do not know how critical this is, but I do know that there are still
> some non-intel mac users on campus. Comments anyone?
>

> Microsoft Office for Mac Home and Business 2011 AND Microsoft Office
> for Mac Academic 2011
> System Requirements
> A Mac computer with an Intel processor
> Mac OS X version 10.5.8 or later
> 1 GB of RAM or more
> 2.5 GB of available hard disk space
> HFS+ hard disk format (also known as Mac OS Extended or HFS Plus)
> 1280 x 800 or higher resolution monitor
> DVD drive or connection to a local area network (if installing over a
> network)
> Safari 5 or later recommended

------------------------------------
Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
http://www.environment.uwaterloo.ca/computing/people/don.html
------------
To request help from MAD please us Request Tracker. For info see:
http://www.environment.uwaterloo.ca/computing/faculty_staff/
This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole
use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the
original message. The information contained in this email is private and
confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby
notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of
this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically
authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in
error please notify the original sender immediately.