[MacTUG] Mac and Windows File Encryption

Steve Hellyer phasetwo at apple.com
Tue Oct 5 10:43:33 EDT 2010

Hi Richard,

Currently MS office password protection is not cross platform compatible nor very secure.

My suggestion is to have you friend contact a consultant to help with a solution that will meet all their needs.
For example they may want mobile device access to file as well.

Good place to start is Consultant locator.
http://consultants.apple.com/services.php

Also here is a few consultants I work with from time to time...

Dave Ballantyne
GemsBok Technologies Inc.
(416)846-7428
http://www.gemsbok.ca

Andrina Kelly
Magpies Consulting
(416)878-9321
http://www.magpies.ca/

David Thompson
Digital Transitions
(416)833-3944
http://www.digitaltransitions.ca/
david at digitaltransitions.ca

Sean Costello
IronGate Server Management & Consulting
(613) 238-4766
http://www.irongate.ca/

Jump IT
(905) 361-8888
http://www.jumpit.ca/

Regards,

Steve

On 2010-10-05, at 8:54 AM, Richard Crispin wrote:

>  Good Morning
> I have a friend who has a business with a mixture of macs and windows
> machines. They would like to encrypt some files and folders that contain
> confidential information. They would also like to share the encrypted
> files via e-mail and be able to edit them on their home computer,
> re-encrypt the files and then send them back. I have done some research
> and have not found a system that is convenient and easy for the user.
> The closest I have found is that Word can password protect files. I
> could not find out whether the file is actually encrypted (I think it
> is) and if the Mac and Windows versions are compatible (again I think
> they are). This is a partial solution at best since it only works with
> MS Office files.
>
> I am looking for other suggestions.
>
> Richard
>
> --
> Richard Crispin
> Information Systems Admin   e-mail:rcrispin at sju.uwaterloo.ca
> St. Jerome's University     phone:Days (519)884-8111 ext. 28260
> 290 Westmount Rd. N         FAX:(519)725-0015
> Waterloo, Ont.  N2L 3G3
> Canada
> ---
> When I die I'd like to die the way my grandfather died, peacefully in
>     his sleep...      ... not screaming and shouting, like his passengers.
> "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!" Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales
> "Time, heat and pressure.
>    The same things that make a diamond also make a waffle." Scott Meyer
> "Every morning is the dawn of a new error." unknown

Steve Hellyer
Pre-Sales Systems Engineer
Education Division (Higher Education)
Apple Canada Inc.
7495 Birchmount Rd.
Markham, Ontario, Canada
L3R 5G2

PH: (905)513-5647
Mailto: phasetwo at apple.com

Training Websites
http://training.apple.com/
http://www.witzapplecertifiedtraining.com/

AppleCare Online Support
http://www.apple.com/ca/support/

AppleCare Technical Phone Support
tel:1-800-263-3394  (basic up and running support for individual consumers)

AppleCare Enterprise Level Support
http://www.apple.com/ca/support/products/macosxserver_sw_supt.html

AppleCare Service Locations (Canada)
http://www.apple.ca/buy/locator/
Select Service Locations from pull down menu