[MacTUG] Mac and Windows File Encryption

Richard Crispin rcrispin at sju-serv1.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Oct 5 08:54:25 EDT 2010

  Good Morning
I have a friend who has a business with a mixture of macs and windows
machines. They would like to encrypt some files and folders that contain
confidential information. They would also like to share the encrypted
files via e-mail and be able to edit them on their home computer,
re-encrypt the files and then send them back. I have done some research
and have not found a system that is convenient and easy for the user.
The closest I have found is that Word can password protect files. I
could not find out whether the file is actually encrypted (I think it
is) and if the Mac and Windows versions are compatible (again I think
they are). This is a partial solution at best since it only works with
MS Office files.

I am looking for other suggestions.

Richard

--
Richard Crispin
Information Systems Admin   e-mail:rcrispin at sju.uwaterloo.ca
St. Jerome's University     phone:Days (519)884-8111 ext. 28260
290 Westmount Rd. N         FAX:(519)725-0015
Waterloo, Ont.  N2L 3G3
Canada
---
When I die I'd like to die the way my grandfather died, peacefully in
     his sleep...      ... not screaming and shouting, like his passengers.
"Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!" Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales
"Time, heat and pressure.
    The same things that make a diamond also make a waffle." Scott Meyer
"Every morning is the dawn of a new error." unknown