[MacTUG] Mail.app and Connect (exchange server) settings

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Nov 3 10:30:56 EDT 2010

Hi there

As we set up mail.app to connect to the Exchange server, Trevor (who should be reading this as he is on this mailing list) has instructed us to set the internal and external mail servers to be connect.uwaterloo.ca

If you set up an account by default it sets the external server to be this but it will set the internal server to the first server in the cluster that wants to talk to it, such as connhub4.connect.uwaterloo.ca

Now this works fine, but Trevor is justifiably  concerned that if this specific server (eg connhub4) goes south then the user will have problems. There is no problem with setting it to connect.uwaterloo.ca, as it does work. But I am wondering if this is a required step. I am asking not because I am lazy but wondering if users who are setting things up themselves will remember to change this.

What makes me curious about this is that Entourage or Outlook 2011 ( which is pretty good, and looks a more like mail.app than entourage!!!) will go in and fiddle with the equivalent setting — if you set it to connect.uwaterloo.ca and check later on, it is some bizzare URI on one of the connhubs. I presume if that specific connhub server blows up Entrourage/Outlook 2011 will figure out that it should be pointing elsewhere.

Does anyone know what mailapp will do if its internal server is pointed at a specific server and then that server fails? For some reason Trevor does not want to take a server down to try this out, haha — come on Trevor, where is your sense of adventure? ;-P ;-)

don
------------------------------------
Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
http://www.environment.uwaterloo.ca/computing/people/don.html
To request help from MAD please us Request Tracker. For info see: http://www.environment.uwaterloo.ca/computing/faculty_staff/
This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole  use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the original message. The information contained in this email is private and confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in error please notify the original sender immediately.