[MacTUG] Importing .MTS files into iMovie

Steve Hellyer phasetwo at apple.com
Mon Mar 8 10:40:34 EST 2010

Knowing what version of OS and iMovie would help, but I will assume Mac OS X 10.6.2, Intel CPU, and iMovie 09...
http://www.macworld.com/article/139841/2009/04/hdediting.html

.MTS file are not in an editable state.  They are AVCHD file in a MPEG-2 transport format.  The video is essentially in a format designed only for transport or playback.   I-frames, Frames which contain all information (http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/i_frame.cfm) are occasionally placed with mostly p-frames (http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/p_frame.cfm). This greatly reduce size of files.

The import process allows iMovie to convert these file into an editable state. Aka.. one with all key frames. As Editing software needs frame to frame accuracy for editing. The files are imported from camera as that's how Apple knows it now it's personal captured content.

.MTS or MPEG-2 transport format is used also for DVD's, Satellite video transmissions, Cable TV. Again perfect for playback due to us reduced size/bandwidth but not good for editing as much of the information is missing.

Only iMovie or Final Cut can import and convert these movies and Quicktime can't due to nature of the licencing fee we pay MPEG for this ability.  And it is limited for the purpose imported from camera not convert all MTS files. NOt all camera record the same way and connecting the camera allow Apple to determine what format is used for that camera.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3290
"Compatible iMovie features include device recognition when connected to a Mac, display of import controls for the device, and importing video to iMovie."

Hope this helps!

Steve

On 2010-03-08, at 10:08 AM, Glenn Anderson wrote:

> Here is the situation...
>
> iMovie has no problem importing .MTS ( video ) files direct from a SD camera card via reader, but for some reason can not seem to read them from a standard hard disk folder.
>
> The video files are fine and play back with no problems with VLC.
>
> There seems to be a lot of discussion regarding these files, with users suggesting copying them back to an SD card to read in ( which is quite time consuming and doesn't always work by the sounds of it ), convert them via some other movie editor/tool ( but that kind of defeats the purpose of using iMovie ) and finally to run Windows and use it's movie tools to create one's movie.
>
> Before I spend to much time looking for the best way, has anyone come across this issue before? If so, how have you solved it?
>
> Thanks.

Steve Hellyer
Pre-Sales Systems Engineer
Education Division (Higher Education)
Apple Canada Inc.
7495 Birchmount Rd.
Markham, Ontario, Canada
L3R 5G2

PH: (905)513-5647
Mailto: shellyer at apple.com or Mailto: phasetwo at apple.com

Apple Training website
http://training.apple.com/

AppleCare Online Support
http://www.apple.com/ca/support/

AppleCare Technical Phone Support
1-800-263-3394  (basic up and running support)

AppleCare Enterprise Level Support
http://www.apple.com/ca/support/products/

AppleCare Service Locations (Canada)
http://wheretobuy.apple.com/ca_locator/service.html