[MacTUG] ipod touch mail - connect ( exchange ) email account doesn't sync up with iMac

Steve Hellyer phasetwo at apple.com
Wed Jul 14 10:27:15 EDT 2010

Glen,

Feel free to uncheck sync Exchange account in iTunes for that person.  It there as a convenience to synchronize account changes (like passwords) from computer to iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad.  The desktop would be using IMAP to get to Exchange mail but the iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad would likely be using ActiveSync to get mail/calendar info with push support.  If you set it up manually with just uncheck sync/replace account information in iTunes.

You will want to use ActiveSync support as it allow for other features like remote wipe if device is lost, directory lookup, and more.

Cheers,

Steve

On 2010-07-14, at 9:52 AM, Glenn Anderson wrote:

> Hi Trevor,
>
> There is no third party software involved, nor has this anything to do with Exchange ActiveSync.
>
> On the Mac, using iTunes one can setup their ipod so that it syncs information/apps/etc between the iMac and the iPod.
> One of the things that can be synced ( one way Mac->iPod ) is the email account settings.
>
> As I said, in general the person's email account settings seem to be transferred fine for 2 of their accounts, it is only the connect one that the settings do not get transferred over.
> The other two are fine, with the necessary inboxes, userid, password, etc settings transferred over.
>
> As to whether the added connect email account remains after the next sync, we will find out next sync. I haven't found any documentation on exactly what would happen in this case, but as auto sync is setup with the Mac being the master for the email settings that next time the ipod is connected, then the setting will be updated to match the Mac and the connect setting "lost".
>

> On 2010-07-14, at 9:30 AM, Trevor Bain wrote:
>
>> I haven't upgraded my iPod to iOS 4 (but the logs on the server indicate that quite a number of folks have).
>>
>> There are a couple of things I don't quite understand from your email:
>>
>> "ipod touch mail - connect ( exchange ) email account	doesn't sync up with iMac"
>> Are you/they syncing the iPod with the iMac (using 3rd party software) or directly with the server (using Exchange ActiveSync)? My iPod syncs with the server directly with no problem.
>>
>> If manually configuring the account on the iPod works, I'm not sure why the next sync would remove that configuration from the iPod (unless you're using a third party sync tool).
>>
>> Trevor
>>
>> --
>> Trevor Bain, IST
>> University of Waterloo
>> 519-888-4567 x33738
>> etbain at uwaterloo.ca
>> --

Steve Hellyer
Pre-Sales Systems Engineer
Education Division (Higher Education)
Apple Canada Inc.
7495 Birchmount Rd.
Markham, Ontario, Canada
L3R 5G2

PH: (905)513-5647
Mailto: phasetwo at apple.com

Training Websites
http://training.apple.com/
http://www.witzapplecertifiedtraining.com/

AppleCare Online Support
http://www.apple.com/ca/support/

AppleCare Technical Phone Support
tel:1-800-263-3394  (basic up and running support for individual consumers)

AppleCare Enterprise Level Support
http://www.apple.com/ca/support/products/macosxserver_sw_supt.html

AppleCare Service Locations (Canada)
http://www.apple.ca/buy/locator/
Select Service Locations from pull down menu