[MacTUG] Mac mini Server

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jan 5 10:26:13 EST 2010

Hi Dani
The only macs I have netbooted off our our mac mini server have been the lab
machines that netbooted during a deploystudio install. Having said that, I
was impressed at how it performed.

Comparing it to our old dual G5 xserve is a bit of an apples to oranges
thing, partly because the G5 was using netrestore not deploystudio. Having
said that, the mac mini felt like it could handle more than the xserve, and
with 2 2ghz processors, the xserve is not a piece of crap!

I usually build my lab a dozen machines at a time. This decision is more
based on the fact that a dozen machines seems to saturate the 1gig pipe to
the server. At any rate, during boot time the mini seemed to boot the
clients at least as quickly as the g5 did (again, I was using a different
deployment tool that used a different boot image, so it is not a totally
fair comparison), and it certainly had no problem saturating the pipe when
it was time to push out the files.

Now you have me curious, perhaps I will try to make a proper netboot image
and boot up the lab machines from it before the pesky students start using
it, haha.

don

On 10-01-05 9:31 AM, "Dani Roloson" <daroloso at mfcf.math.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> Any estimates on how many netboot clients this puppy could handle?
>
> Dani
> MFCF

------------------------------------
Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environmental Studies
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
http://www.fes.uwaterloo.ca/computing/people/don.html
------------
To request help from MAD please us Request Tracker. For info see:
http://www.fes.uwaterloo.ca/computing/faculty_staff/
This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole
use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the
original message. The information contained in this email is private and
confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby
notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of
this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically
authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in
error please notify the original sender immediately.