[MacTUG] Managing Mac OS X with Workgroup Manager and Active Directory - Apple - Free Online Seminars

Ian Turner iturner at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Feb 24 14:43:17 EST 2010

this is much more about workgroup manager as a tool and glosses over the
sort of critical point that we stumbled at - extending the Active
Directory Schema

there is a sort of hard to find reference
http://images.apple.com/ca/business/solutions/it/docs/Best_Practices_Active_Directory.pdf

a white paper from 2007.

Our AD guru struggled and finally gave up with schema extension ->
that's what led us to the golden triangle - and I for one am very happy
with that solution - in the video, you wouldn't be able to tell the
difference to what he is saying/doing; except you point WorkGroup
Manager at Open Directory - and your OD server is bound to AD, so you
get the people and groups from AD as "read only", and then embed them in
OD groups for "management"; WGM can scan the network to create computer
groups and lists in OD