[MacTUG] followup to question today about Mac issues mounting smb home directories

Ian Turner iturner at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Feb 23 12:00:54 EST 2010

the long story started with Tiger, but Leopard had significant differences

For Tiger, we followed:

http://www.afp548.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=17096
  gives a solution - namely change the AUTOMOUNT from YES to NO
  in /etc/hostconfig.

*************************************
The symptom we were seeing was "unable to log in". After much chasing,
eg, it would be "solved" by a reboot; we determined it was because
previous users home mounts were "hanging" and trying to automount - and
of course failing authentication!
For Leopard, (reference an article on MacWindows dated June 20, 2008)
we did:

Using Lingon - under System Daemons - com.apple.automountd
"un-tick" Enabled
click "save"

as root
edit /etc/auto_master