[MacTUG] OS X password length limit... not eight characters?

Ian Turner iturner at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Dec 14 08:50:10 EST 2010

and further in the OD Admin manual (some history which explains the
original post - note it refers to OSX 10.0, which as noted below used
Crypt passwords)

Note: Open Directory passwords can’t be used to log in to Mac OS X v10.1
or earlier. Users who log in using the login window of Mac OS X v10.1 or
earlier must be configured to use crypt passwords. The password type
doesn’t matter for other services. For example, a user of Mac OS X v10.1
could authenticate for AFP service with an Open Directory password.

About Shadow Passwords
Shadow passwords support the same traditional authentication methods as
Open Directory Password Server. These authentication methods are used to
send shadow passwords over the network in a scrambled form, or hash.
A shadow password is stored as several hashes in a file on the same
computer as the directory domain where the user account resides. Because
the password is not stored in the user account, the password is not easy
to capture over the network. Each user’s shadow password is stored in a
different file, named a shadow password file, and these files are
protected so they can be read only by the root user account.
Only user accounts that are stored in a computer’s local directory
domain can have a shadow password. User accounts that are stored in a
shared directory can’t have a shadow password.
Shadow passwords also provide cached authentication for mobile user
accounts. For complete information about mobile user accounts, see User
Management.

About Crypt Passwords
A crypt password is stored in a hash in the user account. This strategy,
historically named basic authentication, is most compatible with
software that needs to access user records directly. For example, Mac OS
X v10.1 and earlier expect to find a crypt password stored in the user
account.
Crypt authentication supports a maximum password length of eight bytes
(eight ASCII characters). If a longer password is entered in a user
account, only the first eight bytes are used for crypt password
validation. Shadow passwords and Open Directory passwords are not
subject to this length limit.
For secure transmission of passwords over a network, crypt supports the
DHX authentication method.