[MacTUG] OS X password length limit... not eight characters?

Ian Turner iturner at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Dec 14 08:44:26 EST 2010

and in the Open Directory Admin Manual for 10.6 (interesting, but of
course not totally relevant because we authenticate from AD not OD

The password must contain no more than 512 bytes (512 characters or
fewer, depending on the language), although the network authentication
protocol can impose different limits (for example, 128 characters for
NTLMv2 and NTLM and 14 for LAN Manager). “Composing a Password” on page
105 provides guidelines for choosing passwords.

******
thankfully, LAN Manager is now abolished here, I believe