[MacTUG] Mac OS X Server v10.6: Understanding process limits

Steve Hellyer phasetwo at apple.com
Thu Sep 10 10:04:56 EDT 2009

One of the features of Snow Leopard is most software is now fully
compiled for 64 bit Intel. By default most system still boot in 32 bit
kernel but with Intel Xserve and Mac OS X server the default is 64
bit. This strategy to to maintain best compatibility we kernel
extensions (kext). A USB serial adaptor driver is a good example.

The servers and Mac Pro's "generally" don't have these client side add-
ons so we feel it of best benefit to boot the 64 bit kernel. There is
also some intelligence built into OS installer which examines drivers
to see if they have 64 bit version to set default first boot.

Good article here on snow leopard and 64 bit...
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/10/28/road_to_mac_os_x_snow_leopard_64_bit_to_the_kernel.html
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/04/01/apple_pushes_devs_to_deliver_64_bit_support_with_new_snow_leopard_beta.html

This Apple kbase describes the addition processes that can run with
run 64 bit and adding RAM. Mac OS 10.5 doesn't scale with RAM.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3854

Other articles related to 64-bit....

Which machines boot 64 bit kernel by default.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3770

How to switch to 32 or 64 bit kernel.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3773

Screensavers need to be 64-bit.
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2913

As alway if you have questions fire them my way and will try and answer.

Cheers,

Steve
Steve Hellyer
Pre-Sales Systems Engineer
Education Division (Higher Education)
Apple Canada Inc.
7495 Birchmount Rd.
Markham, Ontario, Canada
L3R 5G2

PH: (905)513-5647
Mailto: shellyer at apple.com or Mailto: phasetwo at apple.com

Apple Training website
http://training.apple.com/

AppleCare Online Support
http://www.apple.com/ca/support/

AppleCare Technical Phone Support
1-800-263-3394  (basic up and running support)

AppleCare Enterprise Level Support
http://www.apple.com/ca/support/products/

AppleCare Service Locations (Canada)
http://wheretobuy.apple.com/ca_locator/service.html