[MacTUG] updating dyld

Steve Hellyer phasetwo at apple.com
Wed Mar 4 00:30:02 EST 2009

Not seen a program complain about dyld itself (not to say your not
having the problem). Have seen a programs, typically from macports or
fink ports, when compiled complain about the version of a library the
program need to link to. That being a library already installed is
different than the one your program needs to function.

Sort of like as described here... (random example).
http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-10762.html

Could this be the problem???

I think replacing the dynamic linker might be a bit risky in the
larger scope things. Might try it on a non-production machine.

If your running a program which updates a library. It is important to
reboot so that caches can be updated.
Why some system updates require rebooting.

You can update the Dynamically link library caches by doing this...

update_prebinding -force -root /

and then reboot immediately.  Was something we did more on PowerPC
machines than Intel but not sure your details.

Hope this helps.

Steve

On 3-Mar-09, at 5:01 PM, Dani Roloson wrote:

> I have a program that complains dyld is version 11
> and needs to be at least version 12.
> Every google that I've done talks about updating the dyld cache
> not updating dyld itself.  Is it a part of the OS that I just
> can't update?
>
> Dani Roloson
> MFCF

Steve Hellyer
Pre-Sales Systems Engineer
Education Division (Higher Education)
Apple Canada Inc.
7495 Birchmount Rd.
Markham, Ontario, Canada
L3R 5G2

PH: (905)513-5647
Mailto: shellyer at apple.com or Mailto: phasetwo at apple.com

Apple Training website
http://training.apple.com/

AppleCare Online Support
http://www.apple.com/ca/support/

AppleCare Technical Phone Support
1-800-263-3394  (basic up and running support)

AppleCare Enterprise Level Support
http://www.apple.com/ca/support/products/

AppleCare Service Locations (Canada)
http://wheretobuy.apple.com/ca_locator/service.html