[MacTUG] ARD User History Report spins or crashes

Steve Hellyer phasetwo at apple.com
Tue Sep 16 10:50:34 EDT 2008

Hi Dani,

 From ARD Admin manual...
http://images.apple.com/remotedesktop/pdf/AdministratorsGuide20061116.pdf

"User History report information is collected by default if you are
installing Remote
Desktop for the first time. If you have upgraded an older version of
Remote Desktop,
you need to enable its collection explicitly in the clients’ reporting
policy. See “Setting
the Client’s Data Reporting Policy” on page 160 for instructions."

Data is stored in ProgreSQL database. /var/db/RemoteManagement/
Data history is only held for 30 Days.

Suggest if you doing this type of analysis on a large number of
machines then setting up a task server to collect data maybe helpful.

Hope this helps.

Steve

On 15-Sep-08, at 2:49 PM, Dani Roloson wrote:

> I have a recent set of 8 machines that I'm trying to get
> a User History Report from using Apple Remote Desktop 3.2.
> If I say "Rebuild data for report", it tries for over half
> an hour before I kill it off; otherwise, it crashes ARD.
> I've tried getting it to collect data at 11am but it doesn't help.
> Other sets of machines respond almost immediately even with Rebuild.
>
> Any idea where it locally gets the user information? /var/log/wtmp?
> Hmm that's empty on all the problem machines.
>
> Dani

Steve Hellyer
Pre-Sales Systems Engineer
Education Division (Higher Education)
Apple Canada Inc.
7495 Birchmount Rd.
Markham, Ontario, Canada
L3R 5G2

PH: (905)513-5647
Mailto: shellyer at apple.com or Mailto: phasetwo at apple.com

Apple Training website
http://training.apple.com/

AppleCare Online Support
http://www.apple.com/ca/support/

AppleCare Technical Phone Support
1-800-263-3394  (basic up and running support)

AppleCare Enterprise Level Support
http://www.apple.com/ca/support/products/

AppleCare Service Locations (Canada)
http://wheretobuy.apple.com/ca_locator/service.html